Tuesday, August 16, 2011

First day overview


Our School Room!

This is our school room. We were very lucky to find a tri level townhouse that gave us the extra room for a school room. Even as we walked into the house for the first time several years ago we knew this room would be perfect. If you notice we have desks. However, we usually end up on the floor for reading. I put the final touches on everything the night before. The kids love this room. It never stays this neat though. I'm hoping that will change this year! LOL.

Kiddos opening Kinder Cones

We did Kinder Cones again this year. This is a German tradition (the funny thing is I'm not German in any way! LOL). In Germany the kids get cones on the first day of school. These cones are filled with fun school supplies and other items. I raided the dollar section at Target for cute pencils, notepads, stickers and other little items. After doing them once I think these will be a mainstay in our school adventures.





We started ECC and Kindy on Monday. Both of the kids love their curriculums. I'm trying to incorporate O into ECC as much as possible. On Monday both kids filled out their "passport applications". I did purchase an extra passport and sticker book for O so he could take part in this activity.

Overall it's going well. Today was our day at the local homeschool ministry. We have classes (I say we because I teach there) from 9:00 am - 12:00 pm. Then K has one more class from 2:00-3:00. After that it's off to gymnastics with O. It will work though. While K was in her 2:00 class I got some good one on one time for kindy work with O. Then while O was flipping all over the place I got some good one on one with K.

One thing of note is that K has noticed her workload is higher for this year. She's doing almost all 3rd Grade work and it is taking more time. K has said this is OK because she likes everything she's doing. I just don't want her to burn out. I'm hoping the positive attitude remains. She is such a precious child.

Well, I'll end it here. I mostly rambled tonight. Hopefully I'll have a post with some merit by the end of the week. Haha!









4 comments:

  1. *LOVE* the cone idea!!! May have to try that one myself for next year ;) You said it was a German tradition, but you are not German. Just curious....where did you hear about it from? It is such a neat idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy!

    Your school room looks so festive!

    Just stopping by to let you know Homeschool Highlights in MFW will start next Thursday. Hope you can join us!


    Kathi & Kattie

    Guidelines for Homeschool Highlights in MFW:
    http://6arrows.blogspot.com/p/homeschool-highlights-in-my-fathers.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy! I found your blog from the MFW Facebook group. We'll also be doing both K and ECC this year. I look forward to getting to know you better as the year unfolds! Blessings to you! :) Jennifer from http://www.trainingthemup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the fun stuff in your classroom! We are doing ECC this year as well. Have fun!
    Monica
    www.discovertheirgifts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete